Aloha Hawaii residents, in light of COVID-19, Hire Abilities Hawaii provides this resource page to answer many of your questions. This page will be updated continuously to reflect the most recent information. This page was last updated on May 18, 2020.
Social Security Disability Benefits
Social Security Administration (SSA) offices are closed to the public, however, service will continue via the Internet, over the telephone, and by mail. You may contact the local office for limited services, such as to report loss of employment. If you recently lost your job, you may be able to reinstate SSA benefits that were suspended due to employment earnings.
Economic Impact Payments
The Department of Treasury can make a one-time direct payment to eligible individuals. If you receive disability benefits, you may still be eligible for the one-time payment.
Unemployment Insurance (UI)
You may qualify for additional Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits because of the CARES Act. SSA disability beneficiaries who lost their job may be eligible for UI benefits in addition to (or instead of) benefits through SSA. UI benefits may impact Social Security or other disability benefits.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
SNAP offices are are closed to in-person services but are accepting applications by mail, e-mail, and telephone. There will be no impact on SNAP benefits because of receipt of the Economic Impact payment.
Medicaid/QUEST Health Insurance
Hawaii residents who have lost their health coverage or are having difficulty paying for health coverage may be eligible for Medicaid. For those who are already insured by Medicaid, Hawaii Med-QUEST Division has suspended terminations of Medicaid during the national emergency.
General COVID-19 Resources
- Governor David Ige’s – Seventh Supplemental Proclamation
- Honolulu County – Household Hardship Relief Fund
- Maui County – Hawaii Emergency Laulima Partnership (HELP)
- DOH – How to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
- DOH – Up-to-date COVID-19 Hawaii Statistics
- DOH Developmental Disabilities Division Information
- DCCA – COVID-19 Landlord-Tenant FAQ
- From U.S. Senator Brian Schatz (D-HI), Resources for Hawaii During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- CDC – How to Wear a Cloth Covering
- USA.gov – Coronavirus Scams and Price Gouging